Sep 10, 2018

Review Saving Phoebe Murrow by Herta B. Feely

#NetGalley




Interview with Herta B. Feely




 Author Hertha B. Freely 

First, I want to thank Herta B. Feely and NetGalley for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.
Saving Phoebe Murrow a novel by Herta B. Feely is a incredibly intense book that must be read by any parent or guardian that has a loved one in middle school or high school! This is a story that will really make you sit and think what is your child really doing on social media? What is really going on with them that they are not telling you? This is a chilling book of todays reality of the online world and what effects it has on your children. This is not a light-hearted book-this is an emotion filled-gut wrenching book. You will want to hug your child and have a discussion after reading this book.

Saving Phoebe Murrow hits on some very sensitive and taboo subjects. Some of these may trigger some of the readers. Some of these subjects are cutting, cyber bullying, infidelity, underage drinking, fake Facebook accounts, attempted suicide.

My heart went out to Phoebe Murrow during this whole book! She just wanted what ever girl wants in school to be accepted by her peers. To go to the dance, the parties, to have the guy of her dreams ask her out. Life kept throwing her curve balls left and right. Reading this book It reminded me of my times in school and how difficult it was. I can’t imagine going through everything Phoebe went through with the pressures of Facebook. I just wanted to give her a hug!

I had a love hate relationship with Phoebe’s father for few different reasons. I loved the career path he had being in the political eye. However, when he should have been concentrating on his daughter he was out sinning!

I was not a fan of the character Sandy at the beginning of the book. By the end of the book I despised her for so many reasons. I don’t think there has been a character in a book I can honestly say that I hated more than I did her! Herta did an amazing job with this character.

This book was dedicated to the memory of Megan Meir. Herta B. Feely read an article in 2008 about a woman whom posed a fifteen-year-old boy on social media to prey on a vulnerable thirteen-year old Megan Meir. They both lived in the same area as each other. In 2006 this woman (Lori Drew) launched a cyber-bullying attack on Megan through Myspace (this was popular prior to Facebook), and Megan ended up taking her own life.

Hertha was deeply saddened by Megan’s death, and appreciated her effort to fight cyber-bullying by creating a foundation in honor the memory of her daughter. Please visit www.meganmeierfoundation.org for the website contains resources for parents, teachers, and teens whom deal with cyber-bullying.

According to the National Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children, “There were 7,296 counseling sessions with young people whom talked to ChildLine about online bullying and safety last year.” Cyber-bullying has become a huge problem with texting, social media and electronic devices. There needs to be something done about this. A good website for this would be Cyber-bullying Research www.cyberbullying.org

Saving Phoebe Murrow is a book that is going to stay with me in my heart way after I am done reading it. The storyline, the characters, and the concept of the book you just cant forget. Plus, Herta B. Feely just became one of my favorite authors. She did an incredible job researching and writing this book. I would gladly read and review for her any day!!!

RIP Megan Meiers 
Cyber Bullying NEEDS to stop!!!! 





0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Heidilynnsbookreviews@gmail.com Published @ 2014 by Crossroad Reviews