Feb 3, 2021

#BookReview #VisionofLove #KathrynR.Biel



 Love in the City: Limited Edition Romantic Comedy Box Set


Get ready for thirteen heart pounding and laugh out loud rom-coms from thirteen bestselling and award winning authors, including Amazon chart toppers and 
USA Today bestsellers. Filled with mystery, second chances, soulmates, brother's best friends, bad boys, nobility, and the cute guy in the cubicle next to you, these stories will captivate you and leave you wishing for more.
 
Download this limited edition box set while you can and indulge in these sweet and sexy leading men and strong and beautiful heroines while they fall in love in cities around the world.
 
Sariah Wilson - All's Fair in Love and War 
Becky Monson -The Love Potion 
Jennifer Peel - Love the One You're With 
Kirsty Greenwood - Love Will Save the Day
Whitney Dineen - Love for Sale 
Aven Ellis - Love, the Viscount, & Me
Shari L. Tapscott - Little Lost Love Letter
Lucy McConnell - Can't Forget a Love Like That
Kate O'Keeffe - A Very English Love Story
Erin Huss - Love, Lies, and Limo Rides
Melissa Baldwin - Thanks for the Love
Stephanie Fowers - Love at the Masquerade
Kathryn R. Biel - Vision of Love





In the wrong place at the right time …

 Tabitha Stetson, a former member of the top-selling Sassy Cats, never predicted she'd trade in her fame for single motherhood, yet here she is. With three weeks in the Big Apple to entertain herself while her daughter is off bonding with her father, Tabitha needs to make a plan for the rest of her life. She just can't figure out if she wants to be a recluse for her daughter's sake or reclaim her life in the limelight.
 

Henderson Quade is the type of  guy who will put his hopes and dreams aside to help a friend. Let's face it, that's how he ended up being the managing director at The Edison Theater in the first place. And now his business partner, Grayson Keene, has tasked Henderson with wooing a former pop star, convincing her oh-so-subtly that she wants to spend her summer in Upstate New York, starring in a production at The Edison. Henderson likes neither schmoozing nor lying, so this job is about as pleasurable as an IRS audit.

 
This could be the perfect match or an epic disaster. One thing's for certain … they weren't looking for each other.  

Excerpt from Vision of Love:

Chapter One

Tabitha


I'm ten seconds in, and this is the weirdest first date ever.

I'm not even supposed to be on a date. I'm supposed to be having a girls' night in with my former bandmate. But Angie and her partner, Sergei, are delayed in their return to New York City, and Angie had made other plans for us tonight anyways. Apparently, this was supposed to be a double date with them and Sergei's friend. Instead, it's just the two of us.

God, he's grumpy. 

He literally “humphed” at me when I introduced myself. Maybe I shouldn't have made that comment about his accent, but Angie did tell me I'd love it. Of course, I'd been expecting Russian, or at least Eastern European, like Sergei's. I was not expecting Australian, which, let's face it, has a Chris-Hemsworth vibe. 

It's, like, auto-sexy.

And he is cute, though if he doesn't do something about his attitude, it won't get him far. Especially not tonight. I don't even want to be here. I'm jet-lagged and missing my daughter, and then there was that incident with the goat in the Central Park petting zoo …

It hasn't been the best of days.

Two people recognized me today, which I don't know how to feel about. I'm trying to fly under the radar here so no one knows I'm in New York right now. On the other hand, am I now so irrelevant that I can fly all the way from LAX to LaGuardia and traipse all around Manhattan, and only two people recognize me? What a day.

I really don't need another bad date story to be the cherry on top. Hell, my last bad date ended up with me being lied to in the back of a limo and subsequently pregnant.

Okay, this date will not be like that one. I swear. Let's take another look and see if there's anything here to be salvaged.  

Auburn hair. Probably about 5'11", which is a little short for my liking, but not terrible. A light beard. Blue eyes. If I had to guess, I'd say he was in his thirties. I bet he smells rugged and spicy.

He narrows his eyes slightly at me. Okay, it's a little early in the evening to try to lean in and smell him. I sit back and see his gaze drop down and return quickly. If I'm not mistaken, there was a bit of an eye roll in there. It can't be what I'm wearing, can it?

I look down at my form-fitting dress and strappy heels. You can take the girl out of L.A., but you can't take the L.A. out of the girl. Even if you do dye her golden locks a medium brown so she can walk down the streets unrecognized by the paparazzi who used to follow her every move.

Of course, when you take the girl out of L.A. in the middle of February and plop her in Manhattan, the odds are very good that she will not have appropriate clothing for the weather. 

Thank God Angie left a coat behind that's warmer than anything I own. It still looks lightweight compared to his peacoat. He's wearing jeans and a turtleneck sweater. Not exactly dressed to impress, though. I'm definitely used to men who are better groomed. Maybe it's an East Coast thing? 

He takes a deep breath in. "So, tell me a little about yourself."

He sounds like he's starting a job interview. What's next? Where do I see myself in five years? Okay. It's not like I'm really looking for anything. Hell, I live in California. Even if he were the love of my life, it's not like there would be any way for this to work out.

Not that I do love or long term anyway.

And seriously, what am I supposed to tell him? Do I lead with the fact that I'm in New York for three weeks while my daughter bonds with her baby daddy, who is a megastar, and that no one can know he fathered a child out of wedlock? Father, my ass. 

Lying sperm donor is more like it.

Perhaps I tell him that despite my darkened tresses, it is I, Tabitha Stetson, a.k.a. Tabby Cat from the superstar group, the Sassy Cats. Does he know that already because of Angie? Usually when people know that, they lead with it.

Somehow, I doubt either one will turn this date around. I decide to go with a tamer version of choice A. 

"Relax, buddy. This isn't an interview. It doesn't have to be anything. I'm looking for something to take my mind off the fact that my daughter is with her father for three weeks, and I don't know what to do without her."

I see his shoulders drop a little. Is that relief? Or is it revulsion that I have a kid? "Oh, how old's the ankle biter?"

"Ankle biter?"

"Child. Kid. Little one."

I laugh nervously, trying to cover the fact that I feel like an idiot. I mean, he's speaking English too. Maybe it's because that was not how I expected him to reply. "Um, she's three. She'll be four next month. I love her to pieces, and this is the first time she's been away from me for this long. But her father is … working … here in New York, so I brought her out to spend some time with him."

"I take it you're not together?"

Ankle biter?"

"Child. Kid. Little one."

I laugh nervously, trying to cover the fact that I feel like an idiot. I mean, he's speaking English too. Maybe it's because that was not how I expected him to reply. "Um, she's three. She'll be four next month. I love her to pieces, and this is the first time she's been away from me for this long. But her father is … working … here in New York, so I brought her out to spend some time with him."

"I take it you're not together?"

I cock my eyebrow. Like I'd be on a date if we were? What a weirdo. "We were barely together long enough to fertilize the egg."

"Right. Okay. Well, is there anything else inappropriate I can ask? I'd like to get that out of the way now." He flashes a quick grin, and it changes his whole face. 

I'd been beginning to think all he could do was scowl. 

I smile. "No, it's fine. I made my bed."

"Literally," he says dryly. Another grin flashes, lightening his words and making my stomach do a little twist. "Maybe we should get a drink." Henderson nods to the waitress who is hovering patiently.

"Or multiple?" I glance at the menu. "Oooh, the cantaloupe mimosa looks delish." Wait—can I even order that? It's nighttime. Do I look stupid? Is he going to tell people that Tabitha Stetson is so uncouth that she ordered a breakfast drink at dinner? 

But it's what I want. Couth be damned. 

Henderson orders a beer. He looks like a beer guy. Maybe couth would be lost on him anyway. He's definitely rougher around the edges than the guys out in California. I bet he's never had a manicure. I look down at his shoes. They're worn, brown, lace-up boots.

"Are your shoes warm? Mine aren't. I had booties that I bought for the trip, but I stepped in a puddle today, and they're soaked. My feet practically turned into popsicles."

Henderson looks down at my feet. "I don't think those are helping the situation. It's the middle of winter, you know."

This time, the eye roll is obvious.

"I know," I laugh nervously. "I didn't bring the right clothes for the weather. Or a date. I borrowed Angie's coat, but her feet are about two sizes smaller than mine. Believe me, I did try to squash my feet in those boots because they looked so warm. So this was all I had that was appropriate for going out." I'm prattling on. Henderson looks so … disinterested. I'm not used to having to work this much to get attention. 

Either he really doesn't know who I am, or he's playing super hard to get. Unless he's a professional actor, it's got to be the first thing.

"Right, well, the summer in Upstate New York is perfect. Hot during the day, a little cooler at night,” Henderson answers. "But beautiful in general."

Huh? What the hell is he talking about? The comment is so out of left field; it has nothing to do with anything. "Okay." I don't know what else to say.

And the date just went back to being weird.







Telling stories of resilient women, Kathryn R. Biel hails from Upstate New York where her most important role is being mom and wife to an incredibly understanding family who don't mind fetching coffee and living in a dusty house. In addition to being Chief Home Officer and Director of Child Development of the Biel household, she works as a school-based physical therapist. She attended Boston University and received her Doctorate in Physical Therapy from The Sage Colleges. After years of writing countless letters of medical necessity for wheelchairs, finding increasingly creative ways to encourage insurance companies to fund her client's needs, and writing entertaining annual Christmas letters, she decided to take a shot at writing the kind of book she likes to read: those with humor, heart, and happy endings. Kathryn is the author of multiple contemporary women's fiction, romantic comedy, and romance novels, including the award-winning Live for This, Made for Me, and Paradise by the Dashboard Light. Visit Kathryn's website at: www.kathrynrbiel.com.

Vision of Love
By
Kathryn R. Biel
Review 
By
Heidi Lynn’s Book Reviews

First, I want to thank Kathryn R. Biel for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.


Just in time for Valentine’s Day comes a sweet and funny  RomCom by Kathryn R. Biel called Vision of Love. Her story is incorporated with a box set of 13 authors in Love in the City.  It is a short fun easy to read book. 


The cover of the book is cute in cartoonish form incorporating NYC and the two main characters on the front. This cover totally represents the theme of the book. Kudos to the graphic designer. 


Kathryn right from the start of chapter one had me cracking up laughing. Being on some bad dates of my own I definitely could feel Tabitha’s pain. Tabitha’s and Henderson’s date and the conversations were priceless! Too funny! 


If you know me then you would know I love all things celebrity and pop culture! So I loved the fact that this story is based upon a singer from a popular singing group! 


I loved how Tabitha named her child after Prince’s company Paisley Park. Her name was a mouthful though Paisley Elvis Clementine Setton.


The book alternated between chapters in Tabitha’s voice and Henderson’s.







0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Heidilynnsbookreviews@gmail.com Published @ 2014 by Crossroad Reviews