Oct 18, 2020

#BookBlast #ChristmasMemories #NancyCareyJohnson

 

The award-winning author of Life Is Good is back with another feel-good collection of essays, both humorous and inspiring, about life in rural America that includes 40 of her favorite sweet and savory holiday recipes! A transplanted New Yorker, Nancy Carey Johnson has made a happy life with her husband, whom she lovingly calls “Grizzly Adams” and four sons in Vermont—raising them to manhood by feeding them well and frequently on hearty, wholesome country cooking, which is especially abundant in her household from Thanksgiving through New Year’s Day.

Nancy’s love of music graces these pages. She reminisces about singing at the church of her youth and caroling with neighbors. An astute observer, she has yarns to tell about being in line at her rural post office, the pleasure of finding fresh critter tracks in the snow, the wonder of kids playing with an Advent calendar, and the correct way to water a fir tree. Sharing touching and funny stories is how traditions are passed down from generation to generation.

If you want a recipe for a classic Bûche de Noël, roast turkey, or cinnamon buns and notes on caring for large, rambunctious dogs and the delights of night sledding, stringing popcorn and cranberries, or snuggling indoors with a cup of cocoa and a good book in a flannel nightie on a cold winter’s night, then this is an ideal read for you. Keep it on your bedside table, so you can laugh yourself to sleep.


Amazon

GoodReads

Facebook
Nancy John's


Instagram
@nancycareyjohnsonauthor




Funny how things go in life. I grew up in Brooklyn and spent summers in the country at my grandparents' house. And while there is much to recommend the city, I always knew that I didn't belong there and that I would be much happier living in the country.

After college, I worked in a green market by Union Square in Manhattan. Eventually, I met a man from Upstate New York, married him, and moved to a place on the map where the Hudson Valley and Berkshire Mountains meet and began country living in earnest. Along the way, we raised four sons and were adopted by our dog, Jolly.

Looking back at my life, I realized that the adage "Life is about the journey, not the destination" genuinely applies to me. I've worn many hats in my life: wife, mother, homesteader, chief cook and bottle washer, gardener, forager, singer/songwriter, friend, and volunteer, along with "holder of an eclectic array of jobs." Of late, I'm hemp farming.

I am also an accidental writer. Meaning, until recently I'd never in my whole life considered myself to be, or aspired to be, a writer. And it took a fourteen-year-old girl to point out that I was a storyteller, when she said, "Oh, another one of Mrs. Johnson's famous stories!"

I started writing my stories on Facebook when a friend complained about all the regurgitated memes and hateful political posts on social networks these days that were constantly appearing in her feed. She pleaded with her friends and acquaintances: "Tell me about your day. About the things you saw and did today. About your life." And so, I did.

Funny thing, after I started doing that, I gained "readers," people who for years, encouraged me to write a book. I put them off until finally, somebody said, "No, really. You should." That's when I rolled up my sleeves and went to work. It turns out that I now have enough material for several books. Life Is Good is the first of several I have planned. I hope you enjoy it!





0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Heidilynnsbookreviews@gmail.com Published @ 2014 by Crossroad Reviews