Jan 25, 2020

Review: My Name is River By Wendy Dunham

My Name Is RiverMy Name Is River by Wendy Dunham
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

First, I want to thank Wendy Dunham for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

My Name Is River by Wendy Dunham is an incredibly sweet book based on the bond of that a grandmother and granddaughter has, two best friends from different sides of the tracks, and strong faith in God. Throw in some pull on your heart strings moments-which you will need a box of Kleenex for- you have yourself an amazing book in my eyes!!



Kudo’s to Wendy’s graphic artist whom designed the front cover it is beautifully done. The girl on the cover looks like a spitting image of the tomboy River! The background is breathtaking and the cursive title is perfectly done. The book cover caught my eye first, then the unique title (I love the name River for a girl) and then I had to read he back of it. From there I just had to read it. I am so glad I did. I even picked up the second book in the series. The cover is just as beautiful with hands holding a butterfly.

Gram had to be one of my favorite characters in the book. Some of the sayings she said reminded me of my late Gram. That put a smile on my face big time when I read about her. One thing I loved about her was once they moved and she started going to Physical Therapy she starting living life again. It was great seeing her come out of her shell! She is a spunky lady!! Sometimes way too much for someone her age!!

I read a lot of Christian Romance and Inspirational books from various authors whom focus on faith and God in their stories. However, I have never read one on a middle school level. This aspect of the book was so needed and was so refreshing at the end of the book. Wendy puts part of scripture in the book that relates to the story going on.

Wendy taught me a lot in this book and one of those things were about Billy Rivers BFF. He was born with a Brachial Plexus Injury. Billy was born Breached. His shoulder got stuck coming out of his mom and the nerve got stretched out way too far and they got damaged. So, his arm is just lays there…it cant feel anything or do anything. I just found that interesting. I wasn’t the only one. So did River.

You could tell Wendy wrote this book from the heart. That she cared a lot about the characters and the situations that she put them in. That faith in God is important to her as well as children with disabilities of some form. It means more to a reader when you can read between the lines and sense these things. I hope she keeps writing what she loves and is passionate about. She has a gift.


View all my reviews

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Heidilynnsbookreviews@gmail.com Published @ 2014 by Crossroad Reviews