Jan 25, 2020

Review: Almost a Mother: Love, Loss and Finding Your People When Your Baby Dies

Amazon
Almost a Mother: Love, Loss, and Finding Your People When Your Baby Dies by Christy Wopat
Review by Heidi Lynn's Book Reviews

First, I want to thank Christy Wopat for providing me with this book so I can bring you with this review.

Christy Wopat literally brought me to tears and had me wanting to jump into Almost a Mother and give her a big comforting hug. She is incredibly brave to open up her heart and genuinely let us into her personal life and share her experience of loosing twins. I commend her for writing this book as it not only was therapeutic for her-but it could help others as well.


Whomever designed the cover is a genius! Not only is it incredibly beautiful with the hands lifting up the flying butterflies-the meaning behind it is so perfect!

Christy wrote an incredibly beautiful letter to the readers at the beginning of the book for all of those who just lost a baby or knew someone who did. I admit I laughed out loud when she mentioned the Lifetime TV Movie about the crazy lady who lost the baby who goes around stabbing people. I’m an avid watcher of that channel and know exactly what she is referring to.

This was Christy’s true story to tell in her own words of everything she went through-her feelings, emotions, mental state, the before and after she lost her two precious babies. She writes with passion, all heart and is very genuine.

One thing that made this book stand out and made it more personal was she added pictures. She added pictures of the babies’ birth certificates, of their Christmas ordainment's, and when Christy was pregnant. She also shared emails back and forth with friends she corresponded with that she met in support groups. I am glad she had them to lean on for support so she didn’t feel alone.

This book is not just about the loss of her babies-it is so much more.

Description of Book 

After my infant twins died, I couldn't find anything on the shelves at the bookstore that was actually honest. I found books about grief, sure. Books written by psychologists on the stages of grief and books that assured me that I would find my answers in prayer. This isn't meant to replace those. Those books are necessary, but in the raw, emotional weeks and months after losing my twins, what I wanted to know more than anything was that I was not crazy.

Christy's captivating memoir about her hopes, her dreams, her loss, her grief, and ultimately, her healing, is a poignantly powerful and brutally honest account of what happens when tragedy hits. We never think it's going to happen to us. We never think it will happen today. But it does, and it happened to Christy. In an effort to find solace, Christy tried Googling, "What do I do when my baby dies?" Unfortunately, there just aren't any good resources out there--at least not any that are truly honest, not sugar-coated with clichés. "Almost a Mother" is Christy's way of reaching those out to those who have experienced a horrible loss of any kind, of any magnitude, in the hope of building a community of support and love. 

And, in her words, "I just wanted to know that I wasn't crazy because I wanted to punch the pregnant lady at Target in the face."


Author Christy Wopat
Find Christy at www.christywopat.com
Twitter: @wopatwrites
Instagram: @authorchristywopat
E-mail: christywopat@gmail.com
Christy Wopat’s award-winning memoir, “Almost a Mother: Love, Loss, and Finding Your People When Your Baby Dies,” was published by Orange Hat Publishing in 2018. A 4th-grade teacher, busy mama, and wife, Christy has always relied on writing as a way to cope. Recently she decided to use that strength as a way to help others, so they don’t have to feel alone, especially in grief.

Christy is a board member of the Mississippi Valley Writers Guild, and an award-winning essayist at Um, You Guys?. She lives with her husband and kids in Holmen, Wisconsin. Her next book, a picture book about grief, will be released in 2020.





View all my reviews

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Heidilynnsbookreviews@gmail.com Published @ 2014 by Crossroad Reviews