Dec 12, 2021

#BookReview #TheSurrogate #LynnKatz #BlackRoseWriting #NetGalley #5Stars

 

Connecticut high school teacher, Jenn Cooper, falls under the spell of her more stylish double, a woman she encounters in a Key West bar. After a weekend of martinis and makeovers, Jenn is tricked into swapping lives for one month. She uncovers clues about her doppelganger's obsession with guns and the family's twisted dynamics. Jenn discovers dark secrets about Martin, her double's reclusive teenage son. But when she learns what Martin is plotting and that her own life is at risk, it's too late to turn back.


With every plot twist, Jenn faces more obstacles and fewer options. She's on her own as she tries to save herself and prevent another American tragedy.


Buy Links

Amazon / Indie Bound / Barnes & Nobles /Black Rose Writing


I've worn more than a few professional hats in my life. When I was three years old I was crowned Miss Central Park of Schenectady, New York. That day was the beginning and end of my beauty queen aspirations. Many careers later (waitress, classroom teacher, curriculum writer, attorney, school principal, adjunct university professor, storyteller, and cotton candy machine operator), I've dedicated myself to my writing. When not reading or writing, I love hiking, swimming, kayaking, traveling, and spending time with my husband, children, and granddaughter. 

 

In the News

Longtime West Hartford Educator Set To Release Debut Novel

West Hartford Patch, April 19, 2021

Former Farmington Principal Set To Release Debut Novel

West Hartford Patch, April 19, 2021

Avon Resident And Longtime Educator Set To Release Debut Novel

Avon Patch, April 19, 2021


Twitter: @lynn_katz

Facebook: facebook.com/LynnKatzAuthor


Website: https://www.lynnkatzauthor.com/


Inspiration Behind The Book


I began writing my first novel when I retired as the principal of Union School in Farmington, CT. The ideas for my domestic thriller began in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook mass shooting, a tragedy that took place at an elementary school not far from mine. The questions that have haunted me since that day inspired my writing. 

 

How could this happen? Why is it happening again and again? What can we do to stop the next mass shooting? What can we, as parents, educators, lawmakers, citizens, leaders, do in order to end the horrific gun violence that continues to grip our nation? 

 

The Surrogate is not a book about a school shooting. It is a novel that explores the psychological profiles of a would-be mass shooter and the teacher who tries to help him.


Excerpt


The heavy rain had turned into a persistent drizzle by afternoon. I abandoned Duval Street for the relative calm of a side road and meandered through unpaved back alleyways. Random raindrops made dents in the puddles. As I closed my umbrella and pulled at the hood of my rain poncho, the ding of a bell pierced the thick air. Before I had time to heed the warning, a bicycle flew by, and an arm brushed against my shoulder. Losing my balance, I slid sideways into a muddy rut in the road, somehow managing to remain upright. Damn!


“Sorry,” a man called, his bicycle brakes screeching. He disembarked, turned his bike around, and trudged closer to where I stood in my footbath of warm rainwater. “Hey, Jennifer. Whatcha still doing here? I thought ya left town,” the man said, staring at me, squinting. “Almost didn’t recognize you in that. . . whatever it is you’re wearing,” he said, laughing.


I squinted back at him. Did I know the man? He didn’t seem familiar. Wedged firmly between the tacky mud beneath my feet and curiosity, I stood in that puddle racking my brain. Who was this man? He stared directly at me as though we were old friends. He was about my height, perhaps in his forties despite his leathery skin. He wore a baseball cap, cargo shorts, and a red, rain parka. I was certain I’d never seen the man before.


He tilted his head. “You okay, Jennifer?” The only person who’d ever called me Jennifer had been my mother who passed away years earlier. My high school students called me Miss Cooper. My work colleagues referred to me as Jenn. Never Jennifer. So, who was this guy?



The Surrogate

Written By

Lynn Katz

Review By

Heidi Lynn’s Book Reviews



First, I want to thank Lynn Katz, Black Rose Writing and NetGalley for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.


WOW!! WOW!! WOW!! The Surrogate by Lynn Katz is a 5 star, fast paced, addicting, mesmerizing, intense, dark,  thrilling and mind blowing read! This was my first time reading Lynn’s work and I just fell in love with her writing style and her storyline! She definitely acquired a new fan! The Surrogate is a book that is a must read that you have to put on top of your TBR list!! 


Kudos needs to be given to the graphic designer who created the cover for The Surrogate! Boy oh boy that is one cover that grabs your attention and does not let go! I loved it just as much as I adored this book!


Lynn dedicates this book to Bob, Joshua, Siwei, and Elisha. You are her favorite readers in the world. She also dedicates this book to her parents, who Made her believe that she could do anything-even write a book. 


Ohh how I don’t know how I would feel seeing a double of me (one is enough lol) with the same name too! My head was spinning at the future events that were going to happen! 


Lynn discusses and addresses many important topics in The Surrogate. Some scenes are graphic and others that have cuss words in them. Please consider this as they may trigger some readers. 


Jennifer was a girl after my own heart on how much she loved books and would escape into her bedroom to read. She also loved to write and was a huge fan of Hemingway.


Martin’s storyline on how he was so troubled and how Jennifer wanted to help him was one of my faves! At times he would be completely and utterly speechless! ! 


Many of these characters had so much pain and anger built up within them. 


One thing is for sure David was right, this would be a great movie script! I could see this on Netflix or The Lifetime Channel! 


My jaw dropped open at the climactic scenes of the book! I was in utter shock at the turn of events! What an mind blowing ending!! 















0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Heidilynnsbookreviews@gmail.com Published @ 2014 by Crossroad Reviews