Sep 6, 2021

#BookReview #ImSupposedtoMakeaDifference #WNYAuthor #KevinVought #Marguerite PinardMD #MaryJWatsonPhD #AuthorMarketingExperts


Do you know the blonde-haired girl that seven-year-old Kevin Vought tried to save from his charismatic, pedophilic grandfather in the summer of 1980? 

 

Because he’s still trying to save her. 

 

And yes, this is what happens when true crime hits close to home.

 

At every stage in his life, Kevin Vought has made strides toward healing himself from tremendous trauma suffered as a very young child.


Kevin is thoughtful, courageous, and brutally honest. His story is sensational, thought-provoking, and inspiring.

Cover Design Michael Rehder


Kevin’s mother was emotionally abusive and resented him, though she did her best to protect him and his brother from their father, a violent pedophile who inherited his own father’s traits and routinely abused other family members. 

 

Then in the summer of 1980 Kevin found himself in the “care” of his paternal grandfather, on the same day the man abducted an 11-year-old girl to rape. 

 

Kevin tried to stop him and nearly died for getting in his way. And she wasn’t the only little girl. 

 

Im Supposed to Make a Difference describes how Kevin overcame suicidal feelings, depression, and self-loathing to develop five principles for moving forward and normalizing trauma: be steadfast; be goal-oriented; find good people; accept help; and focus your anger.

Very few people know about the childhood trauma Kevin endured long ago in western New York. At first glance, he appears as an average engineer—with a loving wife, two amazing children, and a stable job. As Kevin digs deep into his memories, lingering doubts plague him as to whether a young girl he once knew survived the horrors—or fell to a tragic fate. Fighting a grueling battle for decades against his long-buried memories, Kevin unravels mysteries and patterns to overcome the depression, anxiety, and suicidal inclinations that those same memories caused. Today, he’s largely conquered his demons—and shares with you the strategies he used to heal and transform. Kevin’s doctor describes this deeply-honest account of his trauma, mental health treatment, and redemption as “a story about transformation and hope.”

Amazon

Kevin Vought grew up in Penfield, NY, along the shores of Lake Ontario through the 1980’s. He earned a B.S. degree, graduating magna cum laude, with a double major in physics and math. He went on to earn two M.S. degrees in nuclear and civil engineering. Throughout school, he was rigorously taught how to write and how to give effective public presentations to convey his scientific findings.


Today, Kevin runs a family business with his wife, Jill Vought. Kevin and Jill married in 1998 and are more in love today than ever before in their twenty-three-year relationship. They have two daughters, the youngest is fifteen years old and the oldest is seventeen. While it’s somewhat rare with everyone’s hectic schedules, they still enjoy sitting down together to play Monopoly or a different board game when time permits.


Kevin is an engineering geek at heart and enjoys watching an old episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation or any of the other Star Trek or Star Wars movies. He also enjoys the Discovery or Science channels. When he reads, it’s usually educational material.


Kevin drinks way too much coffee – black dark roast is best! He loves ice cream, but his stomach only allows him so much of that these days.


He’s come a long way in the last few years in taming his demons. It’s allowed him to take some time to sit down and put his thoughts and experiences on paper. Through the process, he’s recognized that I’m Supposed to Make a Difference.

 

Facebook/Instagram


Kevin’s motivation for writing I’m Supposed to Make a Difference


I’m Supposed to Make a Difference had a few sources of inspiration behind it. Initially, I began writing some of the sections about my interaction with my grandfather because I needed to make sure I never forgot a single detail about the assault. I never wanted to forget a single aspect about the blonde-haired girl’s struggles. I owed that to her. I felt I owed her at least that much at the time because I was certain I had allowed her to die a violent death alone. I felt if I at least immortalized her for her struggles, I was finally doing something right for her.

It evolved from there into a desire to write about my trials and tribulations for my children. I knew they would face dark days in their lives, just as we all do. I felt that if they knew the challenges I had overcome, they would know they, too, were strong enough to overcome any obstacles they may face. As I filled in with greater detail about challenges I faced apart from my grandfather, I realized a large number of people could potentially find motivation through this book. What better way to immortalize the blonde-haired girl than using my memory of her fight to lift up countless others?


That's Kevin’s great-grandfather in the chair, Kevin’s grandfather to the right, Kevin’s father behind his great-grandfather, and then Kevin’s brother and Kevin (in the Pac-Man shirt).



Kevin Vought
Class Photo 
1979

I’m Supposed to Make a Difference 
Written by 
Kevin Vought
Review by
Heidi Lynn’s Book Reviews 


First, I want to thank Kevin Vought, Dr. Mary Watson, PhD, Dr. Margaurete Pinard and Author Marketing Experts for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review. 


WOW!! Just WOW!! Never have I read a #MeToo book where a male was the victim of intense traumatic abuse. Kevin Vought needs to be commended for being brave and sharing his deeply personal story in I’m Supposed to Make a Difference with his readers. This is a very well written, extremely powerful, totally heartbreaking, and shocking read that must be put on your TBR pile. This is a book I guarantee many will be talking about! 


Kevin has been so blessed to have the guidance, loving support, patience and debates of devotion from his beautiful wife Jill. Without her, Kevin would not be who he is right now. She is the one that stood by his side through all the dark times. 


Kevin’s girls are a constant reminder to him every day of what truly matters. 


In I’m Supposed to Make a Difference readers get not only to hear Kevin’s story but we get to hear from his clinical psychologist’s who share some insight for us. 


I'm Supposed to Make a Difference brings up some very difficult subjects that may be hard to read or be triggers for some readers. Please keep this in mind. 


What an incredibly small world that I learned that Kevin and I both grew up in WNY! I live in Buffalo but lived in Rochester (where he lived) for many years. I smiled as he mentioned some of my favorite places such as Bill Greys, Abbotts Ice Cream, our love of the Buffalo Bills, etc. Knowing that he lived in WNY it made my stomach crawl that all this happened within our backyard!! 


Kevin will give you a raw glimpse into his childhood and you will learn how sick and twisted his family really was! He truly opens his heart and really lets you into his world on all the feelings, emotions, and mental state he was going through. This must have not been an easy book to write but in the long run very therapeutic for him. 


We also get a glimpse into how life has changed for him throughout the years. He gives a lot of great advice that would help in many situations as well. 







0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Heidilynnsbookreviews@gmail.com Published @ 2014 by Crossroad Reviews