Aug 6, 2020

#MiniBlogBlitz Life Lessons by J.E. Rowney #RachelsRandomResources


Life Lessons

For fans of "Call the Midwife", "Hard Pushed" or "This is Going to Hurt".


Purchase Links - http://mybook.to/lifelessons


Life Lessons is a new adult chick-lit medical drama, with splashes of clean romance.


Expect an unputdownable emotional page-turner that will take you deep into the life lessons of a student midwife.

Violet wants to be a midwife, but she has struggled with anxiety throughout her teenage years.

 

With her best friend Zoe at her side, she gets a place at University and starts training for her dream job.


Can she overcome her fears and find the self-confidence to make it through her first year?

Will Zoe's romance with their housemate spell dating disaster?

 

Book one of the Lessons of a Student Midwife series.

 

This book is a prequel to Ghosted, the bestselling novel.

 

Excerpt


Violet has overcome many obstacles to get her place at University. Ahead of her lie three years of hard work and an ongoing battle with her anxiety. Fortunately, her best friend Zoe will be by her side, helping her through every step of the way. Enjoy thisextract from “Life Lessons” by J.E. Rowney. Chick lit with a medical theme.Sunday night, the evening before week one of classes, I have planned to check my timetable on the online app, make sure my bag is packed with everything I will need, and pick outa cute outfit for tomorrow. I know that my cohort will be mainly female, it’s a profession that is dominated by women, even though there are, of course, male midwives, I’m not trying to impress anyone. That’s not my style anyway; I’ve only ever cared about what I like, never about what anyone else thinks. That was my plan anyway. Instead of getting ready I have been sitting on my bed for the past half an hour, my head spinning and my stomach feeling as though I have swallowed a block of ice. I can’t do anything. I can’t concentrate. All I can do is sit and hope that this feeling passes.Ten more minutes pass, maybe fifteen, and I hear the thud of footsteps on the stairs. A flash of red hair whips around the doorframe and Zoe pops her head in.“I thought youwere taking a long time. You okay?”I shake my head. I can’t even speak. Not even to Zoe.She takes a seat next to me and puts her arm around me.“Hey. It’s alright,” she says.She’s seen me like this before. So many times over the years. My anxiety started in my first year at secondary school. I was eleven years old; there was a lot going on in my life, and I guess I couldn’t deal with it all. It was probably a culmination of all the stressful factors, or at least that’s what my GP told my parents. School work, family life, growing up, all those things. Up until the end of primary school I was the brightest in class, and I loved it. Once I started at Kingsbury Grammar, I was back at the bottom of the pile, a newbie struggling to find my feet. My mum and dad were teetering on the brink of the divorce that would take six more years to finally happen. Add those together, sprinkle them with a dash of onset of puberty, and apparently that’s the recipe for crippling anxiety.


Author Bio – 

J.E.Rowney spent several years in the cold Yorkshire hills, which brings the flavour of the moorland countryside into her work. She now lives in Dorset, and the sun and sea are slowly creeping in as influences.


"Charcoal", her first novel, was published in 2012 to wide critical acclaim, and was a bestselling novel across the whole of Amazon within days of release.

Ms Rowney has recently been awarded the Dinesh AllirajahWriting Prize 2020.


Her third novel, "Ghosted", was released in January 2020 and quickly also became a bestseller.


Life Lessons 
By 
JE Rowney
Review by 
Heidi Lynn’s Book Reviews

First I want to thank J.E. Rowney and Rachel’s Random Resources for providing me with this book so I may bring this review. 


J.E. Rowney sure picked the perfect name for her latest book Life Lessons. Violet definitely learned a lot about herself throughout her journey. 


I was glad to see that J.E. Rowney brought awareness to Anxiety and how it can affect someone’s life. Not many authors talk about mental illnesses such as this one. I too could relate to Violet and her daily life-as I struggle with it too. 


Friendship is another big topic in this book. Zoe is Violet’s rock through everything. I loved the bond that they shared. 


I loved how J.E. Rowney educated us on all things Midwifery as Violet was in school for this topic. To me being fascinated with all things medical I really enjoyed this part. Not to mention I understood most of the medical terms. 


Unfortunately, it started out slow and was not able to hook my attention right away. 


1 comments:

Kristin said...

Thank you for the recommendation! And yes, this is such an important time to affirm and highlight the realities of anxiety. I am also fascinated with medical and midwifery stories!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Heidilynnsbookreviews@gmail.com Published @ 2014 by Crossroad Reviews