Dec 1, 2019

Review: Be Your Own Hero By Schwartzen Precil


Amazon
Foster care was Schwartzen Precil's home since he was one years old. He endured many extreme hardships including an encounter with the criminal justice system as a teenager. He used that obstacle as an opportunity to start over. Despite a traumatic childhood, Schwartzen remained hopeful as he developed a resilient spirit. Through the game of basketball, he enhanced his leadership skills which earned him college scholarship. After graduation, he went on to empower and inspires youth and young professionals with his story as he searched for his long lost family. "Many people struggle with acceptance, identity, and emotional instability their entire lives. I decided to stop blaming others and take full responsibility. I became my own hero." -Schwartzen Precil




Born in Brooklyn, NY, Schwartzen Precil (formerly known as Schwartzen Jarmond) was orphaned as a one-year-old and placed in New York City foster care. Exposure to negative influences lead to early onset trauma as he survived impoverished circumstances. A second chance at life gave birth to a resilient spirit as Schwartzen developed principles and leadership skills learned throughout his basketball career. His presentations and speaking engagements has empowered youth and young professionals with practical solutions to personal and professional obstacles.

Newfane, NY Author Literature Event
Be Your Own Hero: Turning Obstacles in Opportunities
By Schwartzen Precil 
Review by Heidi Lynn's Book Reviews


First, I want to thank Schwartzen Precil for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

Be Your Own Hero by Schwarzten Precil is a book about turning obstacles into opportunities. I commend him for opening up and sharing his story with this world.

The cover of this book is just genius as it is the man himself Schwartzen. It is a very handsome picture that was chosen! Great job for the individual who created the cover.

There are many in Schwartzen’s life that have touched him in many ways. He is so appreciative of so many people and made a point to express how he felt about them in the Acknowledgements. One of those people were Trivit whom is his greatest role model. The only blood he knew growing up. He is truly blessed to have Trivit and all the people he mentioned in his life. 

I absolutely love why his mom named Schwartzen the reason he did. He made me smile when recalling the story and what she said at the end of it.

One quote I loved that he said in the book was “Where one chooses to use their gift, It is not you who suffers, but the world around you.” I totally agree with him.

Many times, popular superhero names are mentioned in the book.  He must be a die-hard fan of them.

I felt that Schwartzen’s chapters in the book were very well written. He shared a lot of details about his life.  However, the prologue seemed a little weak to me in comparison.

Many times, in his life or events tugged on my heart strings. I wanted to reach out and give him a hug.

One statistic I found interesting was that 50% by the age of 12 have a social media and smart phone. Like Schwartzen I too grew up having a flip phone for many years-I was not 12!!

One quote he wrote that hit home more than ever was “It was better to hide built up emotions than be criticized for expressing them.” Very powerful words.

Unfortunately, I did find some spelling errors in the book. Plus, in the EBook I got some paragraphs were indented and others had space between. It might have just been a formatting issue. Within the chapters he has subheadings







0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Heidilynnsbookreviews@gmail.com Published @ 2014 by Crossroad Reviews