May 17, 2018

Waiting for Murder: A Emyln Goode Mystery by Susan Lynn Solomon


First, I want to thank Susan Lynn Soloman for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

Susan Lynn Soloman taught me something in Waiting is Murder: An Emyln Goode Mystery. She and I live in the WNY area. However, I never knew that this was the most haunted corner of the United States. Sure as she mentioned the Buffalo Central Train Terminal which I’m familiar with. But I had no clue that there is an Iron Island Museum, once a funeral home, has a man wandering the hall searching for his ashes, never claimed by his family. That is just freaky to me!! Now I have been to Old Fort Niagara before on trips for school back in the day. However, I had no clue a soldier roams the castle hoping to recover his severed head that was dropped into the well by another soldier. WOW the stories she shares just in the prologue about WNY blew my mind. So incredibly interesting and the fact that are all true stories are amazing. Some of the stories are things you would see on TV. Not things you would think actually happen. Scary to think they actually happened in my hometown.  

This is the second book I am reading from Susan. One thing I love about her books is that she writes about places she knows and loves-her hometown of WNY. One reason I love reading her books is that I know exactly the places she is talking about in the book. So, it brings a smile to my face that I can picture exactly where the character is. With every other book you have to imagine it…but In chapter 2 I know the I-I90 all too well and not fond of the Skyway, familiar with the grain silos (as my grandfather used to work there when he was alive), a fan of Three Dog Night, etc. There is another Hamburg?! She mentions Tops the grocery store and Shea’s Theatre places I know fondly.
I loved how she incorporated her writers group into the book and added cinnamon buns into the mix. Was shocked they were not Paula’s Donuts.

She pulled on my heart strings when she mentioned Crystal Beach. She describes the amusement park so perfectly that closed down years ago when I was a pre-teen. However, I still have fond memories of the place. No, I would not ever ride on the Comet!

Always loved the name Emyln as it was the main characters name in the book.

“Yeah. Catch ya on the flip side.” A radio disc jockey once used this term referring to the next day- I totally remembered that and used to say that all the time in the 90’s.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Heidi Lynn’s Book Reviews (heidilynnsbookreviews@gmail.com) Published @ 2014 by Crossroad Reviews