Nov 10, 2022

#BookReview #Excerpt #Inspiration #ButSeriouslyWhoKnew #MelanieGreen #CancerMemoir

Cancer was cancer. Chemo was chemo. Right? That’s what Mel thought before she received her diagnosis. But she quickly found out she had a lot to learn! From bird poo to shingles, Aunt Sally to a burnt boob, and too many other ‘special joys’ to mention, who knew? Everyone’s cancer story is different, not worse, not better, just different. Mel lets us in on her own unique story of cancer, other illnesses, and general life chaos with some inappropriate humour and a touch of swearing.

Amazon

 


 

 

 




Excerpt

Everyone’s story is unique. That’s what makes us special. One story is not more important than another, just different. We all live with whatever comes our way. Some of us believe in fate, some of us believe that we determine our own destiny, some of us believe a bit of both…that’s me! I never really thought my story was that interesting as it is my normal. But when I’ve spoken to friends, colleagues, and even strangers, they seem to want to know more. From adoption, marriage, divorce, another marriage, children and miscarriage; to jobs, university, cancer and aliens living in my head, just to mention a few ‘highlights’!”

 

“As soon as we saw him walk in with someone else, we looked at each other and knew, we just felt it, that this was not going to be good news – it doesn’t take two people to tell you that you have been wasting their time and to go away and have a good life.

‘I’m afraid it’s cancer’.



I told them they had the wrong script, that this one wasn’t meant for me, but they just looked sympathetically at me and reassured me that they hadn’t got it wrong…not the type of reassurance I wanted at this point!”

 

“I stayed fairly upbeat through most of the ‘chemo journey’. Don’t get me wrong I’ve definitely had a few tears but I think the lack of realisation (still feel like this isn’t really happening to me) has saved me from any deep emotions about the whole thing. So, I was totally shocked at the absolute, overwhelming feelings of jealousy that came over me one afternoon…This was after chemo session number six and I was off to Mum’s for one of my daily injections. Big G was driving me and as we passed the petrol station, I just felt this wave of emotion and a little bit of ‘hate’ I guess. The best way to describe it is when you are in the limo going to a funeral of a loved one and you wonder how on earth other people are going about their daily business, happy and smiling, while you are in so much pain. Well, this was me…how on earth could they be filling up their cars, acting normally, when I was ‘suffering’ so much.”




Author bio:

Melanie Green, is a mother of two from Suffolk whose life was turned upside down when she received her cancer diagnosis in 2018, a week after her 48th birthday. She started writing a blog to process all of her emotions during treatment, which then evolved into her book But Seriously, Who Knew? Since her diagnosis, she has quit her job and is now living life to the full with her husband, Big G: travelling the world and working on more books

 

 

Social media links: 

Instagram - @melaniegreen_author Facebook - @melaniegreenauthor TikTok - @melaniegreen_author

 

Website: 

www.melaniegreenauthor.co.uk




Inspiration behind writing the book:

Writing my blogs throughout my treatment gave me a place to let it all out, to vent – the fear, the disbelief, the confusion, as well as the funny bits, the weird and wonderful ‘joys’ that come hand in hand with a cancer diagnosis. I wrote them primarily for me but as I really knew nothing about cancer, and its treatment, I decided to share them in the hope that friends and family may learn along with me. I received so much positive feedback, people really were learning things and gaining awareness of what cancer could be like, and how you definitely do not go back to ‘normal’ the minute you finish treatment – which is honestly the way I thought before my diagnosis. I had several people tell me I should turn it in to a book. I still feel a little silly when I say I’ve written a book! But one of the main things I try to do now is push myself outside of my comfort zone, do things that make me feel a little scared, but also do things that excite me and keep my brain active, and so ta-dah – the book was written!




But Seriously, Who Knew?

My Cancer And Other Bits Story

Written By 

Melanie Green

Review By 

Heidi Lynn’s Book Reviews 


First, I want to thank Melanie Green for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review. 


WOW! Melanie Green opens up her heart keeping it real in But Seriously, Who Knew? My Cancer And Other Bits. She needs to be commended on how raw and open she was about her journey. It is a beautifully written book perfect for anyone going through cancer or anyone that knows someone that has it. 


Melanie would like to dedicate this book to Big G, Lauren and Kieran for having inappropriate humor in the darkest of times. She loves you lots! 


I absolutely love the beautiful cover of the book. With the colors and the graphics it just makes you want to know what the book is about. 


One thing I absolutely loved about the book is how real Melanie was with her readers. How she was blunt and raw about everything she was experiencing. Her personality just shined so brightly off the pages. It was great to see/read. 


Melanie did a fantastic job researching and educating us readers on all things cancer. Infact, at the end of the book she puts a list of medical terminology so that the readers would understand the terms. Having a medical background I knew many of them. 


But Seriously, Who Knew? Is more than Melanie’s cancer journey. She talks about her daughter Lauren who contributes to the book by writing her Mom a letter. Melanie also discusses her late Dad as well. 


What I found interesting is that Melanie has a blog and is incorporated into each chapter of the book according to what topic they were discussing. 



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Heidilynnsbookreviews@gmail.com Published @ 2014 by Crossroad Reviews