Sep 3, 2022

#BookReview #Excerpt #Stolen #Memoir #ElizabethGilpin #GrandCentralPublishing #HatchetteBookGroup

 

A gripping chronicle of psychological manipulation and abuse at a “therapeutic” boarding school for troubled teens, and how one young woman fought to heal in the aftermath.

At fifteen, Elizabeth Gilpin was an honor student, a state-ranked swimmer and a rising soccer star, but behind closed doors her undiagnosed depression was wreaking havoc on her life. Growing angrier by the day, she began skipping practices and drinking to excess. At a loss, her parents turned to an educational consultant who suggested Elizabeth be enrolled in a behavioral modification program. That recommendation would change her life forever.

The nightmare began when she was abducted from her bed in the middle of the night by hired professionals and dropped off deep in the woods of Appalachia. Living with no real shelter was only the beginning of her ordeal: she was strip-searched, force-fed, her name was changed to a number and every moment was a test of physical survival. 

After three brutal months, Elizabeth was transferred to a boarding school in Southern Virginia that in reality functioned more like a prison. Its curriculum revolved around a perverse form of group therapy where students were psychologically abused and humiliated. Finally, at seventeen, Elizabeth convinced them she was rehabilitated enough to “graduate” and was released.

In this eye-opening and unflinching book, Elizabeth recalls the horrors she endured, the friends she lost to suicide and addiction, and—years later—how she was finally able to pick up the pieces of her life and reclaim her identity.


Excerpt

Author's Note

This is a true account of my experience of being forcibly taken from my home as a teenager and sent to a "therapeutic boarding school." These so-called "schools," many of which are still in operation across the United States today, offer desperate parents what must seem like a miracle cure for children they have deemed "troubled," a term that is very loosely defined and includes what some would call typical rebellious teen behavior. It is my opinion that the methods these schools employ are, at best, debasing and, at worst, completely destructive. I hope to start a conversation for those who have been hurt by these institutions and not known where to turn. If by telling my story I can convince one parent to avoid this dangerous path, I will feel like I've accomplished something.

In recounting my story, I primarily relied upon my own recollections, personal letters, and journals, as well as conversations with others...

Elizabeth Gilpin is an actress, writer, and producer. She starred in and produced Life Boat, a short film directed by Lorraine Nicholson which premiered at the 2017 Tribeca Film Festival. The film was nominated for the Grand Jury Prize for Live Action Short Film at AFI Fest and won the Audience Award at the Napa Valley Film Festival.  Elizabeth also starred in Endings, Inc. and GuerraStolen is her first book. 
 
Elizabeth currently splits her time between Los Angeles and Nashville. 

Amazon



Stolen 

Written By

Elizabeth Gilpin

Review By

Heidi Lynn’s Book Reviews 


First, I want to thank Elizabeth Gilpin and Grand Central Publishing for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.


WOW! WOW!! WOW!!! Elizabeth Gilpin’s Stolen is one powerful story people will be talking about long after they finish the book! Elizabeth is incredibly brave to open up and share her horrific experiences that she endured in her nightmare. This is one book that will pull your emotions all over the place! 


Sarah Congdon and Joachim Johnson did an amazing job with the cover design and the photo! It was creatively done and captured the book perfectly! It definitely caught my eye.


WOW!! Elizabeth’s writings of her experiences unfolding I too felt as I was right with her. Let me tell you my anxiety was through the roof the night she got abducted and omg everything else that happened after! Nobody should EVER put their children through all that she went through to teach them a lesson! I was furious at what they were doing and how they were treating her. So many times I was yelling and screaming at my book! 


My mind was blown when she just endured hell in the woods and now off to Carlbrook! OMG that was just as bad if not worse! Many of the reasons the students were admitted to there I was just shaking my head! Many didn’t seem like they belonged there, specifically Elizabeth! She did a great job educating and researching the school for her readers. 


My heart went out to her for all those she lost in this book due to addiction or suicide. She added the names of who were lost in the book. 


Stolen would make a great Book Club read as there would be so many avenues to discuss. Elizabeth did provide in the back of the book a reading group guide. 


This is one book that would make for an excellent movie on Netflix or Lifetime! 








0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Heidi Lynn’s Book Reviews (heidilynnsbookreviews@gmail.com) Published @ 2014 by Crossroad Reviews