Nov 29, 2021

#BookReview #WalkingMiracle #RyanShazier #LarryPlatt #GrandCentralPublishing #HachetteAudio



Nearly four years after an errant tackle left him paralyzed below the waist, the inspiring comeback story of how former Pittsburgh Steeler Ryan Shazier recovered to walk again.


As an All-American at Ohio State and All-Pro linebacker for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Ryan Shazier was living his best life while excelling at the game he loves, a game that has given him so much. But then Ryan was forced to redefine success. Suddenly, it was no longer measured by tackles or sacks, but by purpose and faith.

WALKING MIRACLE is the story of this new definition of success, following the arc from December 4, 2017, when Shazier was injured playing the Cincinnati Bengals, to his retirement. For three years, Shazier doggedly pursued a return to professional football. He took small wins as “first downs” on the drive to return to the field: moving his toes, walking, dancing at his wedding, and ultimately running and returning to the team. What Shazier didn’t realize is that along the way, he was preparing himself for another purpose—that of father and husband, philanthropist, and football analyst. The journey was preparing him not for a renewed life as a middle linebacker, but a renewed life after the game.
Here we see Shazier overcome childhood alopecia, which caused a great deal of emotional pain, and scoliosis, which nearly robbed him of his dreams of playing college and professional football. We gain insights into legendary coaches Urban Meyer and Mike Tomlin. And we see him star on the field. Shazier was one of the best defensive players in Steeler history—a history full of great defensive stars.

WALKING MIRACLE—the message on a bracelet given to him by his godmother—is the story of Ryan’s comeback, but it’s also a book of life’s lessons, challenges, and a love letter to the power of positive thinking.

Buy Links




Excerpt


INTRODUCTION

“YA GOTTA SHALIEVE!”

Man, Ryan, you’re not okay. That’s what I said to myself about two weeks in. I’d developed a urinary tract infection, and I had a fever. Even though the doctors had told me all about the spinal cord injury I’d suffered, even though they’d told me I only had a 20 percent chance of ever walking again, until now I’d assumed that I was going to get better.

When it first happened, when a routine tackle against the Bengals on the turf of Cincinnati’s Paul Brown Stadium left me with a burning sensation in my lower back and no feeling in my legs, my first thought had been, It’s a stinger—a nerve injury common in football that can temporarily send tingling, numbness, or loss of feeling, usually down the arm. No big deal. After the chopper ride from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh and surgery days later, I still had faith. I’d grown up in football and the church; I’d grown up following game plans. My new game plan was to figure out what I had to do in order to get better. 04 My faith had always been my not-so-secret weapon. When I was growing up in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, my dad, Vernon Shazier, was a preacher and my mom, Shawn, was a God-fearing, walking advertisement for the Golden Rule. They’re humble, loving, everyday folks. From them, I learned that God always has a plan for me. Mom used to tell me, “Whenever you’re in a tough situation, find a light in it.” In every situation, there’s always a way to focus on the good in it and not the bad—it’s just a matter of attitude. When I was five, my hair started falling out. I mean, in clumps. I was diagnosed with alopecia areata, an autoimmune disease that causes patchy hair loss. Imagine going to kindergarten bald. Kids can be less 18 than tactful, and sometimes they’re downright mean. Mom’s take on it? “Ryan, God chose you to be bald,” she said. Who was I to question His plan? It had been drummed into me: faith would set me free. But now, just two weeks after the play that would change my life, my faith was starting to crack. Man, Ryan, you’re not okay, I kept telling myself. My cousin Nehari Crawford, who played football at Duquesne University, was seated by my hospital bed. Nehari had always looked up to me; I’d been his mentor. Now he was seeing me paralyzed from the waist down, feverish, sick to my stomach. I’d always been strong; strength, man, that was my thing. Now I was anything but. I felt the sickness rising in me and turned my head to throw up, but the vomit hit the rail 04 on the side of my bed and some of it ricocheted back at me. You’re not okay, Ryan. 

That’s when it started, the rush of “why me” thoughts. I’d always done the right thing: worked hard, treated people with respect and kindness. I’d been raised to believe that if you follow the rules, good things will happen. You get back what you put out there. And now . . . this? Fourteen days ago, I’d been a world-class athlete; now here I was, vomit- covered, feverish, unable to take a step or raise a leg or feel anything below the waist. 

Why, God? Why me? What did I do to deserve this?







Ryan Shazier was a two time All Pro Linebacker for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Before that he was an All American at Ohio State. Since retiring from the Steelers, Shazier has joined The Ringer podcast network, hosting a weekly football show and regularly appearing on Bill Simmons’s podcast. A documentary about his life is being filmed. He lives in Pittsburgh with his wife and two sons





Larry Platt
 is the co-author of several books, including Stuart Scott’s posthumous bestseller
.















Walking Miracles 
Written By
Ryan Shazier 
And 
Larry Platt
Review By
Heidi Lynn’s Book Reviews

First, I want to thank Ryan Shazier, Larry Platt, Grand Central Publishing, Hachette Books and NetGalley for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.


Ryan Shazier is incredibly brave to open up and share his truly inspirational story in Walking Miracle. Ryan was an outstanding pro bowl football player until a routine tackle rendered him a paraplegic. In a split second his career was over. What was he going to do, give up and resign himself to living the rest of his life in a wheelchair? No. He was going to confront his devastating handicap and overcome it.


Ryan dedicates this book to his love Michelle; his motivation R.J and Lyon; and his parents for showing him the way. He is so grateful for the Pittsburgh Steelers and his teammates throughout the years. 


Henry Sene Yee did a great job with designing the cover.


I was very interested in reading this book as my Brother-In-Law Andy suffered a spinal cord Injury that left him a quadriplegic. 


There was a quote in the book that made me tear up as it made me think of my Brother-in-Law. “Keep the faith. And work hard. Every spinal cord injury is different. None are alike. You can’t listen to doctors who say you’ll never walk again. They don’t know.


Being from Buffalo, NY I recalled all too well Buffalo Bills’ Kevin Everett and how he suffered a fracture and dislocated his cervical spine. With months of intense therapy he too was able to walk again.


Ryan and I share something in common as we both were diagnosed with Scoliosis. I loved how he wouldn’t give up even though doctor’s said this diagnosis would ruin his career. I commend him for using the body sculpting contraption as it sounds uncomfortable. 


My heart was happy reading Ryan and Michelle’s beautiful love story! Ryan shares many pictures in this book, including a beautiful picture of his wedding day. Michelle looked absolutely stunning and I loved the pink tuxedos on Ryan, R.J and Lyon. 


Ryan shares many of his football experiences in Walking Miracle. 






































0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Heidilynnsbookreviews@gmail.com Published @ 2014 by Crossroad Reviews