Dec 6, 2020

#BookReview #TheProject #StaceyPotter #HadleighHousePublishing


At the beginning of her college sophomore year in 1994, Sabella Pierce surrenders to her semester-long psych class assignment: volunteer as a companion for eighty-three-year-old nursing-home resident, May. Having grown up with a bitter grandmother and a lack of enthusiasm for old people, Sabella dreads this project. 

 

But Sabella’s anxiety about her assignment turns to fascination as she discovers May’s vibrant spirit, life of independence, and stash of handwritten letters from the one who got away. Now Sabella is inspired to create a project of her own: reunite these two long-lost lovers while there’s still time. 

 

While visiting, Sabella also encounters Ted, the nursing home’s flannel-wearing, alternative–rock listening volunteer coordinator, and college senior. At first she detests his nonconformist attitude and his constant ribbing of her wealthy upbringing. But as her longtime boyfriend, Ryan, is distracted by his jock friends and a flirty girl from his hometown, opportunities with Ted unfold. 

 

Will the project spark love for Sabella and relight an old flame for May?

The Project will transport you to the 1990s and evoke memories of college days, tumultuous relationships, heartbreak, and love – lost and found. 


Amazon/Barnes & Noble



Book Trailer 

Stacey Potter has been motivated to write

stories about life’s challenging events and the strength and resiliency of women since attending Concordia College and Northern Arizona University, where she earned her bachelor’s and master’s degrees in psychology. She describes her stories like a game of “two truths and a lie,” since she writes from personal experiences. 

 

When Stacey isn’t writing, she works a day job in corporate America, is in two monthly book clubs, tries to be hip in front of her four teens, and drinks cocktails on the deck with her hubby, Andy, while planning their next getaway. Stacey hails from North Dakota, detoured to Arizona for a decade, then landed in Minnesota where she calls home.


The Project

By

Stacey Potter

Review

By

Heidi Lynn’s Book Reviews


First, I want to thank Stacey Potter and Hadleigh House Publishing for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.


The Project is a sweet story written by Stacey Potter that will make you want to call your Gram. This book is so sweet, sometimes funny, and will make you shed a tear. However, it had oh so much drama, lying and cheating too! 


This book is dedicated to Stacey’s Dad Don Kaufman. She misses you every day. 


Stacey picked such a beautiful name for her main character I have never heard of before-Sabella. I love when authors think outside of the box like this. It shows how creative they are. 


Sabella uses my phrase that I have used often in life-what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. I think everyone at some point said this phrase this year. 


The prologue was a great teaser to what was to come for the story. I really wanted to know who Ryan was and what he did to hurt her. Plus, who Ted was. 


I had to chuckle when I saw the mention of Days of our Lives on the big screen TV as I once was a huge fan back in the day! In the book Stacey mentions they are escaping the real world by watching it. I now escape reality by reading and reviewing. 


There were definitely some moments where I cracked up laughing. The banter between Sabella and Jaqee was too funny! Loved those two when they were together. 


I loved learning how Sabella and Ryan met when she was 15 years old. I admit I didn’t catch that she was reminiscing about the time when she met him. So, I needed to re-read that section to comprehend that section of the story. 


My heart went out to Sabella who didn’t have a positive role model in her Grandma growing up as she would fat sham her. Not only to her granddaughter but to her own daughter as well. It is no wonder she was hesitant to do her project with the nursing home residents. 


The Adopt-a-Grandparent program seemed like a really great volunteer opportunity even if it was for school. 


I am a huge Garth Brooks fan and The Dance is one of my favorite songs. I loved how Stacey picked that song for Ryan and Sabella to dance to at the Barn Dance. 


There is one part in the story where Stacey had me tearing up. So, you might need some tissues handy.


I absolutely love how this story came about from Stacey’s own Adopt-a-Grandparent experience with her Grandparent Amy. 









0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Heidilynnsbookreviews@gmail.com Published @ 2014 by Crossroad Reviews